I have been building and flying model airplanes for about five years now and while I am currently active in a glow-powered club, I am still very interested in electric models. It has been a while since I assembled an electric ARF and I have never built or flown a model with more than one motor. Based on this, the Cargo Transport really caught my eye.
This model came safely packed with an outer box and a well-designed styrofoam insert. All components were secured and all loose pieces were baggedReview of Cargo Transport ARF
separately and taped down to prevent shifting in transit. The model comes with the basic components of the airframe as well as the pushrods, 650 mah Nimh battery, electronic speed control, propellers, manual, DC charger, miscellaneous hardware and even a phiilips head screwdriver.
The foam of the wing is very impressive as it is covered with a thin plastic like layer making it very slick and durable. encased all the motor wiring within a foam cover affixed to the underside of the wing at the factory. This is very nice and a clean installation. A polarized plug for attaching to the speed control is flush mounted to the underside of the cover. The foam of the fuselage is without a plastic layer but appears to be comprised of very small cells and is very resilient against hangar rash and abrasions. The paint finish is excellent on all parts.
You will need to provide two mini 9 gram servos, transmitter & receiver and about an hour of your time. Even thought to put some fuel tubing over the end of the screwdriver to keep it from damaging the airplane if it came loose during shipment.
The instructions include photographs and are very easy to follow and accurate. There is plenty of room inside the fuselage and my 9 gram Turnigy servos fit perfectly. The speed control is pre wired to a convenient on/of switch with an arming button for the motors.
The horizontal stabilizer bolts on from underneath with two sheet metal screws provided in the kit. There is a pre drilled plastic insert in the tail
of the fuselage for this attachment. Once the horizontal stab is in place, the vertical is slid in between a “U” shaped bracket and fits into a notch in the fuse. This is almost foolproof and very clever. This insert is drilled and threaded as well and locked into place with a machine screw also included from the manufacturer. After attaching everything and without any cajoling or trimming; I checked these surfaces for 90-degree orientation and symmetry with the wing and they were spot on.
All of the surfaces are pre hinged but need to be flexed back and forth several times to loosen them. Conveniently, an antenna tube for your receiver is pre installed at the factory and exits from the bottom rear of the fuselage.
There were some problems with the included push rods and clevises. The pushrod guides exit the tail at an extreme angle so some slight bends in
the free ends of the pushrods go a long way in taking the stress off of the control arms and surfaces. The clevises can be difficult to thread in and out for adjustment but mine soon loosened up. However, one of the clevises would not close tightly and after closer inspection, I did note that part of the pin was missing. It does include fuel tubing to slide over the closed clevis and this will prevent most problems, but I ended up replacing the defective one anyway.
All that is left now is to press a propeller onto each motor shaft and bolt the wing in place with the included fastener.
The manual doesn’t give a center of it measurement or recommended throws. Because of the battery being encased in a box within the fuselage, I doubt the CG would be an issue unless the servos or receiver you install are much heavier than recommended. As for the control throws, I would suggest limiting the elevator a little until you get a feel for the aircraft in flight. With the rudder, maximum throws should be fine.
I made some measurements with a wattmeter and found that at full throttle, with the stock battery; the motors were drawing a little over 8 amps and around 60 watts. Just for grins I installed a 2 cell 1300 mah lipo battery and got readings of 12 amps and 90 watts. If you do this you might want to be careful with full throttle, as the motors are probably not quite comfortable at those current levels.
All up weight of my model was 15.5 ounces so the stock setup will give over 60 watts per pound resulting in scale like flight. I ran the motors for two minutes at half throttle and ended up using just over 110 mah from the 650 mah battery. I would think that with judicious use of the throttle you could realize 7 to 9 minute flights with the stock battery.
- good quality of foam and finish
- well thought out and great fitting parts
- very economical, considering all that is included
- uniqueness in the industry as this airplane is not often modeled
instructions lacking control throw and center of it information
- clevises may not be up to the task
This article from website!!!